February 11, 2018
By Denise van Hemert
Roughly 1.7 million people live in Montreal and some of them make their way to TandemLaunch every day. This article illustrates why you would want to consider doing the same – just like me!
My name is Denise van Hemert, and I am a 20-year old Dutch student in International Business Innovation, who just moved to Montreal to intern for TandemLaunch. As part of my curriculum, I had to undertake a professional experience abroad. Not long after I started my search, I connected with TandemLaunch and, as I learned more about Montreal, I started wondering why the city wasn’t yet on my bucket list!
Now that I have been here for a few weeks, I can only agree with what Lonely Planet says about Montreal: ‘Witness a city that’s in love with festivals, the arts, good food, living well and enjoying life to the hilt.’ Here is my list of the other top reasons why you should visit or even move to Montreal!
Ease of living
- Montreal has low rents, making living here very affordable.
- Public transportation takes you (nearly) everywhere and you don’t have to wait long: there is a metro every 3-5 minutes – in Amsterdam, I am used to wait 15 minutes between each metro, so this is one of my many daily joys.
- Montreal is truly bilingual. While speaking French is convenient, you will definitely be fine if you only speak English, especially in this office.
- Underground city: You might not even have to go outside in the winter given all the underground shopping centres, one of my favorite places to explore while staying warm.
- Montreal is one of the safest cities in the world and it simply feels good to go anywhere you like without ever feeling concerned.
- Montreal is one of the largest cities in Canada, a country that is becoming a hub for tech startups.
- Montreal has one of the biggest artificial intelligence communities – at TandemLaunch alone, I learned that 9 startups actively using AI!
- The city hosts some leading universities and labs including McGill or Université de Montréal’s MILA lab. Consequently, a lot of research is being performed and international conferences keep coming in town.
- Given the impressive concentration of resources, it is the perfect place to start a company or pursue your career!
- Montreal has TandemLaunch! TandemLaunch is one of the coolest companies I’ve ever seen, if not the coolest: the entire atmosphere and the people at TandemLaunch are simply incredibly inspiring to me.
- The food: Montreal has the most restaurants per capita in all of Canada!
- Montreal has numerous festivals throughout the year such as La Fête des Neiges, the Just for Laughs Festival and the International Jazz Fest.
- There is actually a dedicated district for art and entertainment: the Quartier des Spectacles. I can’t wait to experience the Montréal en Lumière Festival in a few weeks!
- Montreal is known for being the unofficial cultural capital of Canada given his vibrant arts scene, unique architecture and museums.
- The city is incredibly multicultural. If you are coming from abroad, you will for sure find something or someone that reminds you of your country here!
Bonus reason: Poutine. Poutine surprises most of the first time Montrealers (well, me at least): fries, gravy and cheese curds? I might have stared at my first poutine for a few moments, wondering whether I was really ready for this culinary experience, but once I had it, it was hard not to become addicted. Fun fact: many restaurants make their own versions of poutine: last week I tried a Mexican Poutine that incorporated ingredients usually found in burritos.
My list could go on and on, but I think the best way to learn more is for you to come explore! Have I sparked your interest to visit the city and learn about TandemLaunch? Good news: we are looking for more people to join our Entrepreneur in Residence Program, our portfolio companies, or even gain professional experience as an international intern!